- newMonitor illegal flow of money, liquor in Delhi: EC
The Election Commission (EC) on Monday directed the excise and the income-tax departments to strictly monitor the flow of illegal alcohol and flow of money in the national capital prior to the Lok Sabha polls.
- 22 hours ago, 10 Mar 14, 6:23am -
- newUP BJP recommends names of four riots accused for LS poll tickets
After infighting in the BJP over the seats for the coming Lok Sabha elections, the Uttar Pradesh party's President has confirmed that the state unit has recommended the names of four accused in Muzaffarnagar riots for the polls.
- 22 hours ago, 10 Mar 14, 6:09am -
- newAfter Varanasi, uncertainty over Lucknow seat, BJP plays down dispute
The Bharatiya Janata Party leaders have been trying to play down reports of trouble over ticket distribution in the party. Lalji Tandon, a key associate of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and sitting MP from Lucknow, has denied reports tha…
- 23 hours ago, 10 Mar 14, 5:44am -
- newWill join RLD today: Former SP leader Amar Singh
Former Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh has said that he will join the Rashtriya Lok Dal on Monday.
- 23 hours ago, 10 Mar 14, 5:43am -
- newGJM, two members of AGP join BJP
In a day of good news for the Bharatiya Janata Party, two members of the Asom Gana Parishad have joined the party and the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha has formed alliance with it.
- 23 hours ago, 10 Mar 14, 5:30am -
- newRSP to join Congress-led UDF, set back for Left in Kerala
Trouble for the Left Democratic Front (LDF) as the Revolutionary Socialist party (RSP) is all set to join the Congress-led UDF. The decision was taken at a meeting held between the RSP leaders and Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, KPCC President VM Sudhe…
- 23 hours ago, 10 Mar 14, 5:16am -
- newKejriwal not declared as AAP's PM candidate: Patkar
Social activist and AAP candidate from Mumbai North-East seat, Medha Patkar on Monday said that although Arvind Kejriwal is the "best person" to become the prime minister, AAP has not declared him for the top post as doing so before the Lok Sabha pol…
- 24 hours ago, 10 Mar 14, 4:59am -
- newThis election season, books talk politics
This election season it's all about political analysis, commentary and key political players. It is raining books - non-fiction by senior journalists and India watchers alike. All political leaders are fair game.
- 24 hours ago, 10 Mar 14, 4:57am -
- newAP: Three more Congress leaders join TDP
Exodus of Congress leaders to Telugu Desam Party continued with two MLAs and a former legislator joining the main opposition party of Andhra Pradesh on Monday.
- 24 hours ago, 10 Mar 14, 4:32am -
- AAP's love-hate relationship with media
The Aam Aadmi Party on Monday released its fourth list of candidates for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections. The party has fielded former Tehelka journalist and gulail.com founder Ashish Khetan from the prestigious New Delhi seat. By bringing in big names,…
- 1 day ago, 10 Mar 14, 4:25am -
- US says ready to do business with Narendra Modi
The United States would welcome Bharatiya Janata Party's prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi if he wins the upcoming election, a U.S. official said, in the clearest sign Washington will drop a travel ban on Modi imposed after anti-Muslim riots…
- 1 day ago, 10 Mar 14, 4:00am -
- AAP faces infighting over Lok Sabha election ticket distribution
The Aam Aadmi Party is facing infighting ahead of the Lok Sabha elections. A national council member has questioned party chief Arvind Kejriwal over transparency in ticket distributions.
- 1 day ago, 10 Mar 14, 3:25am -
- Over 1.7 lakh new voters register at special camps in Delhi
Over 1.7 lakh new voter enrolment forms were received at special camps set up across Delhi on Sunday for people to enrol and verify their names in electoral rolls ahead Lok Sabha elections beginning next month. The special camps were organised by Ele…
- 1 day ago, 10 Mar 14, 2:39am -
- Rahul Gandhi to meet salt pan workers before Balasinor rally
In a change in itinerary for his March 11 visit to Gujarat, Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi will make a stopover at Rann of Kutch to meet salt pan workers before leaving for his rally in Balasinor.
- 1 day ago, 10 Mar 14, 2:37am -
- EC calls meeting of political party auditors today
The Election Commission has convened a meeting of account auditors of all political parties on Monday to discuss transparency guidelines norms and filing of financial statements by them after completion of Lok Sabha polls as part of efforts to curb t…
- 1 day ago, 10 Mar 14, 2:34am -
- Clashes outside BJP office: Delhi EC says AAP violated code of conduct
There is more trouble brewing for the Aam Aadmi Party ahead of the Lok Sabha elections as the Election Commission of India finalises its report on the AAP and BJP clashes in Delhi last week. Sources have told CNN-IBN that the probe blames the AAP for…
- 1 day ago, 10 Mar 14, 2:15am -
- Lok Sabha election live blog: March 10
Follow all the updates related to Lok Sabha here. Today, BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi and Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi will address rally in Patna and Rajasthan respectively.
- 1 day ago, 10 Mar 14, 2:11am -
- LS polls: Parties brainstorm over ticket distribution
With the Lok Sabha elections coming close, ticket distribution by various political parties is creating buzz. The Dravida Munnettra Kazhagam (DMK) on Monday denied a Lok Sabha ticket to Karunanidhi's estranged elder son Alagiri. But it has decided to…
- 1 day ago, 10 Mar 14, 1:51am -
- Rahul an agent of change, I intend to partner him in doing that: Nilekani
A day after Congress declared his candidature from Bangalore South, former UIDAI chief and Infosys co-founder Nandan Nilekani on Monday said that there is no Narendra Modi wave in the country while praising Rahul Gandhi. "Rahul Gandhi ideas are revol…
- 1 day ago, 10 Mar 14, 1:41am -
- Former Andhra CM Kiran Reddy names his party 'Jai Samaikyandhra Party'
Kiran who was known as a staunch Congress loyalist had openly rebelled against party's decision to carve out Telangana from Andhra Pradesh.
- 1 day ago, 10 Mar 14, 1:37am -
- LS polls: AAP to field another journalist Anita Pratap from Ernakulam
Pratap will reportedly be taking on Union Food and Civil Supplies Minister Prof. K V Thomas from Ernakulam in Kerala.
- 1 day ago, 10 Mar 14, 12:38am -
- LS polls: Pappu Yadav to contest against Sharad Yadav on RJD ticket
Pappu Yadav is a four-time MP. After winning from Purnia seat in the years,1991, 1996 and 1999, he also won the 2004 Madhepura by-polls.
- 1 day ago, 10 Mar 14, 12:14am -
- Who is funding Rahul's nationwide campaigns, asks Modi
Narendra Modi, BJP's prime ministerial candidate, on Monday addressed a rally in Purnia where he took on his rival in the fight, Rahul Gandhi. He said the Centre must come clean on who is funding his nationwide campaigns.
- 1 day ago, 9 Mar 14, 11:21pm -
- Coal scam: SC raps CBI, asks it to file all chargesheets by March 28
The CBI had filed its first chargesheet in the coal scam earlier in the day against Hyderabad's NPPL.
- 1 day ago, 9 Mar 14, 11:17pm -
- Moily not ready to contest from Chikballapur? Seat may go to Chiranjeevi
When the Congress high command released its first list of candidates on Saturday evening, it had the names of all sitting MPs from Karnataka except Petroleum minister M Veerappa Moily.
- 1 day ago, 9 Mar 14, 10:28pm -
- Mahatma's great grandson asks Rahul not to use Mahatma's name in polls
What does Mahatma Gandhi have to do with this election, asks Mahatma Gandhi's great grandson, as critics question Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi's comment blaming the RSS for the Mahatma's killing and Rahul Gandhi gets an earful on misusing bra…
- 1 day ago, 9 Mar 14, 10:01pm -
- LS polls: 1/3rd candidates declared till March 2 have criminal records
According to an official press release by the Association of Democratic Reforms (ADR), one-third of the candidates announced by all political parties till March 2 have a criminal record. A total of 203 candidates were announced by various political p…
- 1 day ago, 9 Mar 14, 9:58pm -
- Questions to Arvind Kejriwal from an 'aam aadmi'
In the past few weeks you have written letters to some key politicians especially those who are contenders for the prime ministerial chair and as you didn't get response from any of them it seems you have gained the upper hand on the issues raised by…
- 1 day ago, 9 Mar 14, 9:42pm -
- Congress shouldn't field tainted leaders in LS polls: Manish Tewari
In an attempt to change the image of the Congress party ahead of the Lok Sabha elections, Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari said the party should not give ticket to tainted leaders.
- 1 day ago, 9 Mar 14, 8:49pm -
- Row over KG Basin gas: Andhra HC issues notice to Centre, state
Accepting a PIL against the allotment of the Krishna-Godavari basin gas to states other than Andhra Pradesh, the state High Court on Monday sent notices to the Centre, the Andhra government and Reliance for their responses.
- 1 day ago, 9 Mar 14, 8:44pm -
- Amar Singh joins RLD but tries to appease Congress with apology
Amar Singh's candour is fresh as ever. In an interview to CNN-IBN, the former Samajwadi Party leader staunchly defended his move to join the Rashtriya Lok Dal with a line that drew on a hit Bollywood song, "Tum karo toh rasleela, main karun toh chara…
- 1 day ago, 9 Mar 14, 8:27pm -
- 2014 LS polls: DMK fields 2G accused A Raja, Dayanidhi Maran
The DMK has decided to field former telecom minister and 2G scam accused A Raja and Dayanidhi Maran in Lok Sabha elections. Raja will contest from his current constituency Nilgiris, a reserved seat for the Scheduled Castes (SCs), while Maran will con…
- 1 day ago, 9 Mar 14, 8:24pm -
- AAP announces 4th list for LS polls, fields journalist Ashish Khetan
The Aam Aadmi Party has released its fourth list of candidates for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections. The party has fielded former Tehelka journalist and gulail.com founder Ashish Khetan from the New Delhi seat.
- 1 day ago, 9 Mar 14, 8:06pm -
- Will decide to start a new party after Lok Sabha polls: DMK's Alagiri
The family war in the DMK has escalated as the party chief M Karunanidhi's eldest son MK Alagiri said that he will decide on starting a new party only after Lok Sabha elections. He said, "I have to discuss with my cadres and will decide in two months…
- 1 day ago, 9 Mar 14, 7:46pm -
- MM Joshi, Sushma question Rajnath over Varanasi, Bellary seats
Ahead of the Lok Sabha elections, rift is appearing within the Bharatiya Janata Party as senior party leaders Sushma Swaraj and Murli Manohar Joshi questioned party President Rajnath Singh over the Bellary and Varanasi seats during the party's Centra…
- 2 days ago, 9 Mar 14, 6:54am -
- Kejriwal refuses to accept security, police says he has to take it
Controversy is brewing over Z category security for AAP leader and former Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal as Delhi Police has included him in the list of VIPs who receive Z category security. Kejriwal was provided with the security after specifi…
- 2 days ago, 9 Mar 14, 6:34am -
- Dine with Kejriwal for Rs 20,000; AAP to hold fund raising party at Bangalore
As it seeks to gain a toehold in Karnataka, Aam Aadmi Party is scheduled to hold fund raising dinner during party chief Arvind Kejriwal's two-day visit to the city towards weekend.
- 2 days ago, 9 Mar 14, 6:18am -
- Rahul is our leader, nothing wrong in accepting his suggestions: Khurshid
Emphasising on the hierarchy in the UPA, External Affairs Minister and senior Congress leader Salman Khurshid said that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh leads the government, Congress president Sonia Gandhi heads the UPA and party Vice President Rahul G…
- 2 days ago, 9 Mar 14, 5:44am -
- Lok Sabha election live blog: March 9
Follow all the updates of the upcoming Lok Sabha elections here. AAP chief Arvind Kejriwal will address a rally in Mathura, Uttar Pradesh.
- 2 days ago, 9 Mar 14, 5:42am -
- BJP seat row: Sushma denies rift; Joshi says keep winnability in mind
Even though Sushma Swaraj denied differences within Bharatiya Janata Party over the Varanasi constituency candidate, party veteran Murli Manohar Joshi on Friday sent out a subtle message to the party leadership by saying it should keep in mind the wi…
- 2 days ago, 9 Mar 14, 5:16am -
- CPI to fight in 60 seats, declares 39 names for LS polls
Probodh Panda and Atul Kumar Anjaan are among 39 candidates declared by CPI for the upcoming Lok Sabha polls as the party said that it would fight on 60 seats in 24 states.
- 2 days ago, 9 Mar 14, 4:26am -
- Kejriwal accepted Z category security as CM after IM threats
Aam Aadmi Party leader and former Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has accepted the Z category security in view of threats from Indian Mujahideen. The Delhi Police was directed to provide Z category security to Kejriwal after specific threats wer…
- 2 days ago, 9 Mar 14, 4:22am -
- BJP approaches EC over Kejriwal's allegations against Modi
ujarat BJP lodged a complaint with the Election Commission against AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal for his statement that BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi won three Assembly elections in Gujarat either by "buying out" or "killing" his opponen…
- 2 days ago, 9 Mar 14, 4:09am -
- Nitish slams BJP for hobnobbing with MNS in Maharashtra
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Sunday slammed BJP for hobnobbing with Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) in Maharashtra saying the people of Bihar will reject the party's collusive politics of communalism and regional chauvinism.
- 2 days ago, 9 Mar 14, 4:02am -
- BJP likely to admit leaders who do not face criminal cases
BJP on Sunday said it would consider admitting any leader, including former Karnataka minister Sriramulu, if they do not face any criminal case. "As far as the question of Reddys with Ramuluji is concerned, BJP would not accept those who are facing c…
- 2 days ago, 9 Mar 14, 4:00am -
- LS polls: Cong to contest from 27 seats in Maharashtra, NCP 21
The Congress and its ally Nationalist Congress Party seemed to have reached an agreement over seat sharing in Maharashtra for the Lok Sabha polls. The Congress will now contest from 27 of the 48 Lok Sabha seats and the NCP will contest from 21.
- 2 days ago, 9 Mar 14, 3:29am -
- Nandan Nilekani gets LS ticket from Congress, to join party today
Even before Infosys co-founder and UIDAI Chairperson Nandan Nilekani formally joined the Congress party, his name was already in the party's first list of Lok Sabha candidates. Nilekani will join the Congress on Sunday and will contest from Bangalore…
- 2 days ago, 9 Mar 14, 2:53am -
- MNS to fight against Shiv Sena but maintains support for Modi
Ending days of speculation after Bharatiya Janata Party leader Nitin Gadkari appealed to him not to split the anti-Congress vote, Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray on Sunday refused to oblige by announcing his first list of Lok Sabha can…
- 2 days ago, 9 Mar 14, 2:25am -
- Khurshid refuses to apologise for calling Modi 'impotent'
External Affairs Minister and senior Congress leader Salman Khurshid has defended his recent controversial comment calling BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi 'impotent'. Speaking to CNN-IBN's Karan Thapar on Devil's Advocate he refused to…
- 2 days ago, 9 Mar 14, 2:10am -
- Coal scam: CBI to file status report in SC tomorrow
CBI will be submitting a status report on Monday informing Supreme Court about the progress made in the coal scam probe and on filing charge sheet in one of the cases registered by the probe agency in 2012.
- 2 days ago, 9 Mar 14, 12:54am -